Every Wednesday Rickety Wisoff-Fields posts a picture prompt to challenge writers to create a 100-word story or poem or anything that works for you.  After you post your work on your blog,  go back to her site and add a link to your post on her Friday Fictioneers post.  Place.  Page.

006

Phone Call

“Hello?” said a raspy growl, putting down crayons.

“Afternoon, Sir.  I’m calling on behalf of-”

“Half of what?”

“Sir?”

“Half a sandwich?”

“No.  On beHALF.  I’m with the National Association-”

“Location?  In the living room.  Where are you?”

“No, Sir.  I’m calling on be-.  I’m calling for-.  (exhale)  We’re trying to raise money for-”

“Money?  Sure.  I’ll take some money.  Whatcha got?”

“No, Sir.  Would you like to donate-”

“I LOVE doughnuts!”

“Certainly, but children in town need-”

“Let ‘em get their own damn donuts!”

“No, Sir.  I’m-”

From the kitchen.  “Jimmy.  Who’s on the phone?”

*click*

“Wrong number, Mom.”

1. Hahaha, you got me cracked up…I enjoyed this!

2. Tin Woman says:

Hilarious! I loved this. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

3. twindaddy says:

Who doesn’t love doughnuts?

4. bulldogsturf says:

Now this one I enjoyed… lol

Nightmare conversation… I must try this next time I’m being hounded on the phone.

6. Is the old phone that’s faulty or the “old” hearing? Very funny piece with great dialogue, of course!

At first I thought you were taking the hearing impaired angle (as I did a couple weeks ago), but then you threw in the prankster at the end. My daughter and her cousin used to tell telemarketers that Mom is working on the truck and Dad is passed out in the floor drunk. They usually didn’t call back :)

8. JKBradley says:

I can’t wait till I get the next solicitor on the line….

9. This reminds me of my youth. Whenever an unfortunate telemarketer called, it was like hitting the comedy lottery.

“Hello, I’m conducting a survey about radio listening habits.”
    “I’m sorry. My father is an intellectual. He reads books.”
    “I’m an intellectual, too.”
    “Really?”

I actually got that one to hang up on me. Perhaps it was less than kind, but golly, was it fun! ;)

More recently, while at my widowed mother’s house, I intercepted a call from a local charity that erroneously claimed she’d donated in the past. Mom and I both enjoyed my performance as a grieving widow. Not sure what the guy on the other end of the line thought…

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :)

10. who’s writing these stories?
    who keep sending me updates?
    and who is this rich guy? I’d like some of his money?
    Brain snorts? What means this?
    Is it like bran flake? I like ‘em with raisins?
    Got any raisins?

11. muZer says:

Hehe.. This took me down the memory lane. Been there done that.. Guilty! The best part some times my parents asked me to talk in hopes that finally they’ll be no calls again! :-)
    Such a fun take on the prompt. Enjoyed the playfulness and innocence in kid’s replies..

12. elappleby says:

Hilarious! It’s tricky to write humour when you’re restricted to 100 words, sometimes dropping a single word stops it from being funny, but you did it brilliantly. I will definitely try passing the phone to my kids next time I get cold-called. :D

13. Dear Snitch,
    Now that was one bright kid. Loved this piece and hate being called by telemarketers. I can be the queen of rude.
    I’m also impressed that someone still knows how to spell doughnut. I used to work as a sign-maker. After making a sign for the bakery. A few days later I heard another employee laughingly tell another that someone misspelled “donut” on the sign.
    Shalom,
    Some days more Rickety than others.

i had originally written “donut” and meant to go back and change it, but i forgot. then someone mentioned it and i went back to fix it.

14. wmqcolby says:

Sounded like an old man at first with his new hearing aids — “What kind is it?”
    “Oh, it’s about 7:15.”
    Rickety … now THAT”S funny!
    Oh, yeah, the story is awesome! I LOVE interplay!

15. Loved it! Reminds me of kids calling and asking, “Do you have Prince Albert in a can?” (Tobacco, for those who don’t know.) The next line, naturally, was “You should let him out” or something similar. There were other things like this, to. Pretty harmless fun.

16. Lol – I am laughing here! I know you didn’t give the age, but I want the son to be about 12 and a great impressionist.
    Mine: http://kindredspirit23.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/friday-fictioneers-uncle-waldo-genre-humorous/

Incredible …. I just sat back and enjoyed this one with smiles on each line!

18. tedstrutz says:

I’m trying that next time!

Rich,
    You are back on your game Brother!!!! The Holidays are over and all the cheer is here….LMAO! Reminds me of the old days…and I confess to messing with wrong numbers and telemarketers when they call me…as well as calling friends and telling them I am from Ireland and that we need help with cause and if they could send some money for guns and beer that would be grand!

Tom

thanks very much. we used to record our prank phone calls and re-live them in the car while driving around on friday and saturday nights. thanks for reading.

In the first line, you have the growl putting down crayons, but this is delightful in leading us down one path and giving us a different destination. Quite the clever boy and quite the way to handle a telemarketer.

Here’s mine: http://unexpectedpaths.com/friday-fictioneers/my-fair-clue/

21. kz says:

hahahaha it was a fun read, awesome.. smart kid.lol

22. writeondude says:

Very good. I wonder if I’ve got the courage to try it with my next spam call?

23. this is priceless, I need to give this script to my husband, he’d have a blast with the telemarketers! You’re on a roll this week, Loved the Zodiak post as well.

24. Always good to start the day with a chuckle. Though I wonder what the children in town need…

25. Joyce says:

Ha Ha. Very funny, Rich. Questions again here. Is Jimmy a boy or an ‘older’ man? The way I read this he is a rather hard of hearing cranky old guy with an attitude. But, how old is his ‘mom.’ :) Or did I misinterpret the story? You sure live up to your blog name. Brainsnorts. I love that. :)

I’m pretty sure this story was drawn from your juvenile history of using the phone to prank unwary people. Many good misunderstandings makes it funny. I had a small problem with “putting down crayons” and had to read it again because there’s nobody to attach to that clause, but after I’d read the entire story I understood the reference. Good deception. Thought this was an old man who was hard of hearing until the very end. Ron

thanks. i’m glad you caught the crayon reference. i admit, it isn’t a big enough clue, but it worked for you, so that’s good enough for me.

27. Loved this! Out of the mouth of babes. He did what many wish they could do, frustrate unwanted callers. Nicely done.

Reminds me of some fun I had with a telemarketer. I have the story on my blog. It was fun. This story was fun. It made me laugh. I’m glad you got happy with it. :-)

thanks for reading. i remember one time when a telemarketer called just as i was helping someone to undress. i told the caller that they had the choice to either hang up or i would gladly put the phone down so they could listen. they hung up. their loss.

ok ok, I swallowed. I cannot tell a lie

30. Sarah Ann says:

Loved it. Thanks for the laugh.

31. Sounds like a good advice. Reminds me of a friend who got called trying underwear (briefs), and he just said that he never wear briefs… The poor young girl had nothing to say and went all silent. :-)

32. Okay, Rich. You fooled me with the “raspy growl” (I didn’t pay enough attention to “putting down crayons”) – I was picturing a grumpy, addled man in his eighties, not a kid approaching adolescence.

Jimmy, you brat.

33. Ha ha. Rich, you’re so delightfully funny. Good one. I love the innocence (except for the end). This kid is serious about donuts as he should be!

34. nightlake says:

This was fun and enjoyable:) Thank You!

35. YJ says:

Very funny. I really enjoyed. At first I thought the focus would be with a senior that had to deal with such calls. Some agencies target them hoping to get their commitment. Very well done!

36. Just Me says:

Hilarious. I really enjoyed that. :)

37. vbholmes says:

Unfortunately, the fun times no longer roll–the recorded message refuses to fall victim to one’s clever repartee.

38. Debra Kristi says:

Fun, fun, fun! I love that kid. Telemarketers shouldn’t be allowed to make cold calls. Just sayin’. You are fabulous with the witty banter.

39. Sunshine says:

:) …maybe the fun will continue as the youngster himself becomes a telemarketer & experiences his life- in reverse. –cool story. <3